Old 31-03-2009, 08:40 PM
Bigal Bigal is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh View Post
In message net, Ed
lid writes
On 29/03/09 17:50, Ted wrote:
When the book calls for Horticultural grit or sharp sand. Will
building grit and sharp sand do instead ..I know it seen
ms to be frowned on but ordinary sharp sand is used on football
pitches...Wondered if the horticultural label was just to relieve us
of more money ?

Builder's sand and sharp sand are different products.

Builder's sand (often referred to as soft sand) has very fine particles
and is used by builders in combination with cement to make up a mortar
mix which might be used, say, for laying bricks. You might also come
across it in children's sand-pits.

Sharp sand, on the other hand, has larger (though still small)
particles and offers good drainage as water can easily percolate
through. For this reason it is often used in a horticultural sense to
'open' up claggy clayey soils or added to a potting-up medium to assist
drainage. Builder's soft sand will not do that.

Horticultural grit.. now what is that? Suspect that it might in
reality be just ordinary sharp sand (or similar) but which will cost
you 3x the price!!

Just go to your local diy store and buy plain ordinary sharp sand. If
you are worried about contaminants then just wash it several times in a
bucket of water decanting between each wash.

Ed

Hort grit, silver sand are larger particles and hence better fro
breaking up heavier soils and improving drainage. You pays your money
hugh
I've used builders sharp sand for years bought from the D.I.Y stores. Never had any problems, but I suppose there could be a first time.

Bigal