Old 31-03-2009, 11:15 PM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross David E. Ross is offline

Default Need Help with grape vines

On 3/31/2009 4:32 AM, brooklyn1 wrote [in part]:
I previously wrote [also in part]:
If they were planted last year, then the only pruning they need is to
remove side shoots in order to create a central trunk. Keep one main
shoot until it reaches the top of whatever supporting system you will
use. Let it get a bit taller than the support and then head it back so
that it develops side shoots along the top of the support.

A mature grape vine loaded with fruit is very heavy. I use 3-inch
steel-pipe fence posts instead of stakes. I run wire rope between them.
See my http://www.rossde.com/garden/garden_grapes.html for details,
including a rough sketch.

I like your set up. How old are your vines?

When I first wrote my Web page on grapes in 2000, the vines were about 7
years old. I was getting very abundant crops of 'Perlette' and almost
as large a crop of 'Black Monukka'.

In the summer of 2004, a raccoon discovered my garden. I got one bunch
of under-ripe 'Black Monukka' and about 6 bunches (less than half the
crop) of ripe 'Perlette'. The raccoon got the rest, neatly picking off
the individual grapes and leaving all the stems (even the tiny little
stems for each grape).

The grapes were planted on a slope in my back yard. In a heavy rain
storm in January 2005, the slope failed. Repairs were not done until
the end of 2007, when new grapes were planted: 'Perlette' and 'Black
Monukka' plus 'Flame'. The 'Perlette' and 'Flame' are now about a foot
high; the 'Black Monukka' has not yet sprouted and might have to be
replaced. I don't expect to see any grapes until the summer of 2011.
Then, I will have a raccoon trap baited and waiting.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean