Old 01-04-2009, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_2_] Spider[_2_] is offline

Default Begonia tubers

"Sacha" wrote in message
On 1/4/09 10:23, in article , "shazzbat"
wrote:

"Bill P" wrote in message
I have been reading posts in this forum for some time now and found a
lot
of useful information.
So, I have a question.
Begonia tubers. Do you cover the tubers with compost or do you leave
the
top half exposed.?
last year I covered them and lost at least half.
Instructions that came with the tubers were.
Fill a shallow tray with good compost and press the tuber gently in?

They must have said that for a reason. Same thing as with peonies then.
I'll
be doing begonia tubers later, so I'll do what they say, since ours came
from a neighbour with no instructions.

Steve

Ray just came in so I asked him and he said the just pressing them into
compost, leaving the tops uncovered thing, is what he does.
--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com

That's interesting. I've always just lightly covered mine and been
successful, but it's always worth trying something different.

It's probably also worth mentioning for the OP's benefit, that the tuber
should be planted hollow side up, as this is where the growth buds develop.
Also, because of this dished upper surface, watering should be done
carefully around the outside of the tuber or from below (if potted) so that
water doesn't collect in the hollow and rot the tuber.

Spider