Old 01-04-2009, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bill P. Bill P. is offline

Default Begonia tubers

"Spider" wrote in message
That's interesting. I've always just lightly covered mine and been
successful, but it's always worth trying something different.

It's probably also worth mentioning for the OP's benefit, that the tuber
should be planted hollow side up, as this is where the growth buds
develop. Also, because of this dished upper surface, watering should be
done carefully around the outside of the tuber or from below (if potted)
so that water doesn't collect in the hollow and rot the tuber.

Spider

Thanks Spider,
I did and will do, plant them hollow side up as you say. I will take note of
your advice on watering as well.
I planted twenty last year, but I put a layer of compost ( about 2 inchs )
over the top and about eight of them just failed, When I looked at them they
looked as if they had gone rotten.

Bill.