Old 01-04-2009, 01:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Granby Granby is offline

Default Finally warmed up

When I still did a big garden, I once put out 50 plants. I finally set a
box of plastic bags out and a sign that said, "You pick'em, you can
have'em". Amazing how many people will take tomatoes if you pick them and
deliver them but don't want to "get dirty and have that fuzzy feeling after
being around the vines."
"The Cook" wrote in message
On Tue, 31 Mar 2009 03:14:26 -0600, "Suzanne D."
wrote:

"The Cook" wrote in message
I need to figure out how many tomato plants I have room for. Why do I
keep buying more seed every year?

I overdid tomato seed too; planted about four times more than I thought I
would need for my garden space, assuming a low germination rate. Almost
all
of them sprouted and thrived.

So since I can never grow a good lawn out here in southern Utah, I figured
I'd just lay drip lines across the front yard and put tomatoes out there.
It's a good way to make something worthwhile out of a patch of land that
refuses to look like a lawn no matter what we do. Hopefully our 120+
tomato
plants will enjoy it.
--S.

What are you going to do with all of the tomatoes? One year I set out
about 100 plants. The neighbors got tomatoes and I took small boxes
of cherry type tomatoes to a family gathering. I think I spent most
of August and September preserving tomatoes.
--
Susan N.