Old 01-04-2009, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore[_2_] Pam Moore[_2_] is offline

Default Begonia tubers

On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 10:14:04 +0100, "Bill P"
wrote:

I have been reading posts in this forum for some time now and found a lot of
useful information.
So, I have a question.
Begonia tubers. Do you cover the tubers with compost or do you leave the
top half exposed.?
last year I covered them and lost at least half.
Instructions that came with the tubers were.
Fill a shallow tray with good compost and press the tuber gently in?

Bill.

I always understood you should not cover the tops. Then I watched
Alan Titchmarsh, when he was doing GW, plant some big ones to enter in
a show, and he covered the corms.
The top of the corms is concave, and maybe water can collect there and
cause rot.
Another thing to watch out for, is vine weevil grubs. I have lost
corms overwinter, finding just a shell, with a few vw grubs inside.

Pam in Bristol