Old 01-04-2009, 11:02 PM
Bigal Bigal is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
Suzanne D. wrote:

So I have no idea how or when to plant garlic, yet it is growing in
spite of me.
--S.

At least I'm not the only one! grin
Most of the 'old timers' I know save their best heads for planting.
Maybe my trouble comes from trying to grow the heads from the store,
I donno. They could be too old by the time I planted them.
I ~do~ know that I love garlic though!
I'm in the U.K. and always plant my garlic in the fall (autumn) when they have a head start on spring sown coves. If you grow from bulbs bought in your local store, they are probably last years bulbs stored over winter at low temperatures (about freezing), and second year cloves do not grow so well.

Bigal