Old 01-04-2009, 11:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Need help with my OU project

qxq wrote:
'David Hare-Scott[_2_ Wrote:

This is an international forum, not all terms are in common use in
all

places or necessarily mean the same. What do you mean by a water
butt? I
assume it is some sort of water vessel for watering the garden. How
big is
it? Do you mean a purpose-built water tank or some vessel recycled
from
another purpose?

David

I see, sorry! I thought it was UK forum. Waterbutt is used to collect
and store rainwater, often it is attached to downpipe, many local
councils give them away for free in England, to encourage people to
use rainwater to water their gardens, there are some with more
attractive design, with hosepipe attachments, timers,etc

You didn't say how big they are but assuming something like 200 litres they
are a waste of time except in very limited circumstances. I say this
because:

1) That much water is only useful for watering a few pot plants or a tiny
garden bed.

2) In even a modest rain event one is likely to have far more water than
that come down each downpipe which then gives you problems disposing of the
excess without it causing damage, which implies yet more plumbing.

Why would you waste money on pumps, timers etc for so little use? Your
project is like putting lipstick on a pig.

David