Old 02-04-2009, 12:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty_Hinge[_2_] Rusty_Hinge[_2_] is offline

Default Lemon buds

The message
from Sacha contains these words:

On 1/4/09 22:46, in article , "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote

Haven't tried it myself, Bob but I gather Vodka makes good Limoncello -
wonderful digestivo!

You are quite right, it's vodka not gin. However our friends in southern
France have brought us some "Eau de vie" as it's called there so the next
time we have a glut of lemons we will make limoncello properly.

That should be a perfect vehicle for lemon juice. ;-)) Er - when were you
considering another trip to Devon. Please could you email me your recipe?
Heaven knows we have enough lemons so I really must try to make it.

Try this:

Earl Mountbatten's recipe for lemon cordial. This was a state secret and
since Earl Mountbatten took no stimulants such as
alcohol, tea or coffee, the recipe was provided to hosts who were to
entertain him when his ship was in (usually) foreign
ports during the war.

3 lemons; 2 lbs granulated sugar; 4 rounded teaspoons citric acid; 2
rounded teaspoons tartaric acid; 1 rounded teaspoon Epsom salts; 1 quart
of water.

Thinly peel zest from lemons. Squeeze juice from the fruit and add to
the zest.

Boil the water and pour it over the sugar, citric acid, tartaric acid
and Epsom salts. Stir until dissolved, then add
the zest and juice.

Cover, and allow to steep for 24 hours.

Strain into bottles and keep refrigerated.

---------------------------------------

I grate finely the zest rather than paring it, and I use a kilo of sugar
per quart of water.

For lime cordial, use four limes, but otherwise keep to the same recipe.

---------------------------------------

For the ancient among us who still have fond memories of wartime and
just after:

MoF orange juice I can supply - or at least provide destructions for.

Take: 4 thin-skinned oranges; 2½ lbs white sugar; 4 rounded teaspoons of
citric acid; 2 rounded teaspoons of tartaric acid; 1 rounded teaspoon of
Epsom salts crystals; one quart of water.

Destroy oranges and remove pips. Comminute in a food processor (or chop
small).

Put all ingredients into a stainless steel or enamel pan and place over
a *VERY* low heat.

Bring to the boil and maintain for two hours so that it is gently
turning-over, not bubbling.

Allow to cool a bit, then give it a long time in a liquidiser - in
relays, of course.

Bottle, and keep refrigerated.

(Or you can bring it back to the boil and put it into screwtop bottles,
and seal, when it should keep indefinitely.)

--
Rusty