Old 02-04-2009, 11:57 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty_Hinge[_2_] Rusty_Hinge[_2_] is offline

Default Compost ?

The message
from Ted contains these words:

The top 2 inches of my new allotment is choked with Twitch (couch
grass?)...I had the idea of skimming it off and putting it into a
compost bit then, if it grew I would treat it with weed killer (Round
Up) to kill it off...Is this a workable idea and will it turn into
decent compost ?

It will be more than the top two inches.

It will have to be dug out and then any stray bits (any? Ed.) pulled/dug
up over the next couple of years.

Alternatively, spray the lot with glyphosate, and again, and again, and
prepare the land for next year.

The subterranean growth of unsprayed twitch is much appreciated by
livestock, and used to be sold in French markets.

--
Rusty