Old 02-04-2009, 07:23 PM
beccabunga beccabunga is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin[_2_] View Post
On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 10:13:59 +0100, Sacha wrote:

On 2/4/09 10:10, in article
,
"Martin"
lid wrote:

On Thu, 02 Apr 2009 09:29:58 +0100, Sacha
wrote:

Here's the way to grow the pasta to go with it. Apologies - meant to post
this yesterday. ;-))
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyUvN...eature=related

and this too
http://www.whitbygazette.co.uk/news/...ull.5121670.jp

I got: Sorry there was an error accessing the page you requested.
There was either an error creating the page, or it could not be found.
If you were looking for a particular section please select it from the
directory below. Alternatively, use the search.

It must be made for people with real PCs )

The site works for me.

Major plan to harness gull power at special Cargo Shed sanctuary - WHAT DO YOU
THINK?
Published Date: 31 March 2009
By Staff Copy
AN AMBITIOUS plan to harness one of Whitby's huge untapped natural resources has
been formulated, the Whitby Gazette can reveal exclusively.
Many regard the thousands of seagulls over the town as nothing but a nuisance.

But a leading bird expert has come up with a scheme that could revolutionise how
we view the screeching rodents of the skies.

Prof Herbert Brain believes that setting up a seagull sanctuary could be the
first step in actually training the birds so they can become useful.

And he believes the ideal location would be the old Cargo Shed on Endeavour
Wharf.

Prof Brain plans to name the facility the Fully Operational Ornithological
Liaison centre for Seagulls.

"People all too often dismiss our feathered friends as flying rats or vermin,"
he said.

"And the gulls do not help themselves by swooping down and stealing things like
fish and chips from people's hands.

"We have heard of instances of other items, such as cigarettes, burgers and even
wigs being grabbed.

"But I believe in the power of positive rehabilitation. With treatment and
training, these soaring scavengers can be given a useful role in our society."

He is now pulling together a team of RSPB volunteers, social workers and
behavioural scientists in a bid to get his pioneering scheme off the ground.

And Heather the one-legged seagull who has taken up residence outside the
Dolphin Hotel could be one of the first to benefit.

They want to use the mis-named male bird as a role model for their scheme, which
could see gulls transforming their image – and transforming the local streets at
the same time.

"We want to train the gulls to pick up litter rather than just grab anything
they see. And with the right training we believe we can get them to do this,"
said Prof Brain.

"Heather will be our mascot and hopefully our first success."

He said they were also keen to find a way of utilitising the huge amount of
seagull droppings that currently coat many residents' cars.

"We believe we can find some sort of fuel use for the poop.

"In the meantime though, we plan to train the gulls so they only do their
business once they have flown south of Robin Hood's Bay."

The plans are due to be announced by the chairman of the scheme, Swedish
ornithologist Olaf Ripol, at a special press conference at noon tomorrow – 1
April.

You can see more coverage on the story at our website www.whitbygazette.co.uk
from that time."
--

Martin
No doubt the same scientists as came up with plans to harness fish movement to generate electricity, put forward by the Insitut du Poisson d'Avril..