Old 02-04-2009, 07:28 PM
willie266 willie266 is offline
Registered User

Location: North Essex coast
Default An ideal herb garden...

Hi

First post so be kind!

I am contemplating a new herb garden. I have a space about 30ft x 14ft to use but the site is sloping so I need to build a retaining wall and level off as its currently at around 45 degrees!

Does anyone know or have any advice on some good designs for a herb garden?

I am after that classic mix of permanent planting of lavender, rosemary etc as well as space for the annuals. This will be a culinary and visual garden and I hope to have a wide range of herbs.

In terms of design I am prepared to go the whole hog and get the box hedging thing going.

Limitations are really the soil type is solid clay, hence the need to build a wall and raise the site with some decent drainage and good soil.

Any ideas?