Old 02-04-2009, 07:38 PM
willie266 willie266 is offline
Registered User

Location: North Essex coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted[_4_] View Post
The top 2 inches of my new allotment is choked with Twitch (couch
grass?)...I had the idea of skimming it off and putting it into a
compost bit then, if it grew I would treat it with weed killer (Round
Up) to kill it off...Is this a workable idea and will it turn into
decent compost ?

--
Regards
Ted

In my experience digging it out will be hard work and not always successful. Be prepared to go back to the weeding on a weekly basis!

The best way is probably Round Up, although this can be expensive on a large area.

If you do skim some off (or have other nasty perennial weeds) a really good way of returning the nutrients is to stick them all in a barrel of water until they are no longer viable then compost them. The juice also makes good nutrient water for feeding.