Old 13-04-2003, 05:56 AM
B & J

Default Plants at Wal-Mart

"John S. DeBoo" wrote in message
Angela Coffey wrote:

I went to my local Wal-Mart Supercenter (in Mount Pleasant, TX) last

week to
look at some flowers for my gardens. They were the most pitiful looking
things I've ever seen! I almost cried! At least 3/4 of their plants
(flowers, veggies, EVERYTHING) was either dead or dying.

One of the superstores in Albuquerque has some decent looking ones -

finally,
but only because they built a fairly civil area to store them inside

wherew they
are protected from the elements. Went by a Lowes 2 weeks ago and they

left
theirs outside (very cold and in the wind that night) overnight. Pathetic
looking little things.

--
John S. DeBoo

As a bit of defense for Wal-Mart, we have a great person in charge of the
garden section at our local super center. I have know him for the past four
years and found him dedicated to his job. When I look for him with a
question or problem, I most often find him with a water wand in his hand
taking care of the newly arrived acquisitions or older plants that need
tending. (Most of the stuff moves so rapidly that it doesn't have time to
dry out or die.) His biggest complaint is that the management forces him to
contend with "bodies" in getting things done. I have purchased a lot of
plant material from bulbs to fruit trees from this Wal-Mart and feel I've
always received good product and good treatment. I made it a point to write
several letters to the management regarding what a great employee he is.

BTW, Wal-Mart has been an extremely generous supporter of local
beautification projects in the parks and public buildings our area by the
local garden clubs. Not all Wal-Marts are community pariahs.

John