Old 02-04-2009, 04:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Hamer Family Hamer Family is offline

Default Compost ?

It will be deeper that two inches. Dig as much of it out as you can then
fork over the earth to loosen the remaining roots, you will be able to pull
them out by hand. Inevitably you will miss some and you will get it
sprouting, easy to pull out if you have dug deep enough and broken up the
clods. I used a right angle fork or a hand cultivator for this.

Last year as an experiment. I dug out what I could and piled it up in a row
(there was tons of it - about half a meter high, five long and half a meter
wide). I covered it with black plastic, cut holes in the plastic and planted
kale plants into the couch grass and earth. The kale was fantastic, I took
the black plastic off last week and guess what - hardly any couch grass
left! I have just dug that bed over and the soil is in lovely condition. I
have moved to the grotty end of the plot now where there is still tons of
the stuff and I am going to do it again. Backbreaking.

--
Mark Hamer
www.another-way.co.uk

I don't want to arrive at my grave in an attractive and well preserved body,
hopefully I will be skidding in
sideways, Gin and Tonic in one hand -- Cigar in the other screaming YAHAAAY!

"Ted" wrote in message
et...

The top 2 inches of my new allotment is choked with Twitch (couch
grass?)...I had the idea of skimming it off and putting it into a compost
bit then, if it grew I would treat it with weed killer (Round Up) to kill
it off...Is this a workable idea and will it turn into
decent compost ?

--
Regards
Ted