Old 02-04-2009, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Compost ?

"Ted" wrote ...

The top 2 inches of my new allotment is choked with Twitch (couch
grass?)...I had the idea of skimming it off and putting it into a compost
bit then, if it grew I would treat it with weed killer (Round Up) to kill
it off...Is this a workable idea and will it turn into
decent compost ?

Digging it out will take years because you will always miss some bits and it
will grow back. I wouldn't put it in a compost bin either. A friend tried
digging it out of his allotment but never succeeded.
The only permanent way is to use a weedkiller with Glyphosate (Round-up) and
wait a couple of weeks for it to die then hit any green bits again.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden