Old 02-04-2009, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default An ideal herb garden...

"willie266" wrote

Hi

First post so be kind!

I am contemplating a new herb garden. I have a space about 30ft x 14ft
to use but the site is sloping so I need to build a retaining wall and
level off as its currently at around 45 degrees!

Does anyone know or have any advice on some good designs for a herb
garden?

I am after that classic mix of permanent planting of lavender, rosemary
etc as well as space for the annuals. This will be a culinary and visual
garden and I hope to have a wide range of herbs.

In terms of design I am prepared to go the whole hog and get the box
hedging thing going.

Limitations are really the soil type is solid clay, hence the need to
build a wall and raise the site with some decent drainage and good
soil.

Any ideas?

Our experience is that herb gardens very easily get infested with weeds
which are difficult to remove. We now grow all herbs in large pots which
seems to eliminate that problem and it also goes some way to provide these
plants with the drier soils they like, being mostly from the Med region.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden