Old 03-04-2009, 03:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
miamicuse miamicuse is offline

Default Railroad tie walkway

On one side of my property is a strip that is 7.5' wide and 75' long. That
strip never gets any sun as on one side is the house and the other side is a
6' tall wood fence. The house also has a roof overhang about 5'. When it
rains in Miami the rain water pours down to this strip. Basically nothing
will grow and it's basically all dirt with an occasional patch of weeds here
and there.

I saw this:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2030/...06b2a96978.jpg

and thought it has the rustic and weathered look I like. In here they used
8x8 railroad ties and space them apart perhaps every 2 or 3 feet.

I don't want to excavate every 2 or three feet down 8-10", and I think real
RR ties are way heavy and difficult to cut.

So what I am wondering, if I get 2x8 pressure treated lumber, and cut them
to desired lengths and lay them down spaced equally along my strip. Then
pour say 2" of stone/pebbles between them and level them, will it give the
same look? I think it will...may be not as dark as real RR ties. What I
think will happen is 2x10s will probably shift around when walked on or get
kicked...unless I stablize them somehow. May be drill a hole on each side
and pound a rebar down? Another problem is may be it will buckle and warp
after much rain.

Is this a good idea or a bad idea?

Any other way to achieve this look without having to cut 8x8 PT RR ties and
dig trenches for each piece?

Thanks,

MC