Old 03-04-2009, 01:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Grass in shade

"Freckles" wrote:
I have three oak trees and I cannot get grass to grow under them. I know
St
Augustine will grow in the shade, but can anyone recommend a grass that
will
grow from seeds in a shaded area?

You have more than a shade issue. Oak trees turn the soil beneath extremely
acetic, making it very difficult if not impossible to grow lawn grass
successfully. Sometimes liming with shallow tilling can help but usually
not, and can more likely damage your trees. I don't know where you're
located so I can't give you detailed recommendations, perhaps you can get
more help by accessing: http://www.scotts.com/smg/