Old 03-04-2009, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ophelia[_4_] Ophelia[_4_] is offline

Default chitting potatoes

Gopher wrote:
In message , Ophelia
writes
Martin wrote:
On Fri, 3 Apr 2009 13:48:23 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

Just to be sure I know what this means.. does it mean waiting til
the spuds have wee shoots growing from them?

I mentioned that when at Harlow Carr recently, I bought some bags,
compost and some seed potatoes. I have them in the light awaiting
sprouts. I have no sprouts. Must I wait till the sprouts grow
before I can plant them, please?

The RHS and Google are your friends
http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...tatoespots.asp

Thanks Martin, but if I want to google for things myself, then there
is not much point in belonging to a newsgroup

This seems a less than courteous reply - or do I detect some history
here? If Martin can take the trouble to look up fulsome advice from
the professionals on how to grow potatoes for you and then point you
in the direction of the detailed advice surely that is as acceptable
to you as cutting and pasting the verbiage followed by a signature? A
newsgroup doesn't only exist to re-write or paraphrase what already
exists. Rather to help with advice - such a Martin has given.

If I have caused offence, then I apologise unreservedly. It was certainly
not meant in the way you seem to perceive it.