Old 03-04-2009, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ophelia[_4_] Ophelia[_4_] is offline

Default chitting potatoes

alan.holmes wrote:
"shazzbat" wrote in message

"Ophelia" wrote in message
Just to be sure I know what this means.. does it mean waiting til
the spuds have wee shoots growing from them?

Yes. The sprouts are called chits.

I mentioned that when at Harlow Carr recently, I bought some bags,
compost and some seed potatoes. I have them in the light awaiting
sprouts. I have no sprouts. Must I wait till the sprouts grow
before I can plant them, please?

No, stick them in now. There is disagreement every year about
whether it actually achieves anything anyway. TBH, I'm surprised
they haven't started sprouting in the bags by now.

Me too, mine have been sprouting for ages, but being a lazy begger I
haven't had the get up and go to get them in the ground, perhaps
tomorrow!

Well, I suppose with better knowledge, I would have looked for a bag of
seed potatoes with sprouts. I only bought them a few weeks ago.