Old 03-04-2009, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default chitting potatoes

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Ophelia" wrote
Just to be sure I know what this means.. does it mean waiting til the
spuds have wee shoots growing from them?

Yes, well actually, getting them to start to sprout.

I mentioned that when at Harlow Carr recently, I bought some bags, compost
and some seed potatoes. I have them in the light awaiting sprouts. I
have no sprouts. Must I wait till the sprouts grow before I can plant
them, please?

No, if they haven't started to sprout and are otherwise OK then just go
ahead and plant.

Mine are already up! They are all around an inch or two above the
surface of the soil. I'm just hoping there aren't any really hard frosts.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.