Old 03-04-2009, 07:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ophelia[_4_] Ophelia[_4_] is offline

Default chitting potatoes

David in Normandy wrote:
Bob Hobden wrote:
"Ophelia" wrote
Just to be sure I know what this means.. does it mean waiting til
the spuds have wee shoots growing from them?

Yes, well actually, getting them to start to sprout.

I mentioned that when at Harlow Carr recently, I bought some bags,
compost and some seed potatoes. I have them in the light awaiting
sprouts. I have no sprouts. Must I wait till the sprouts grow
before I can plant them, please?

No, if they haven't started to sprout and are otherwise OK then just
go ahead and plant.

Mine are already up! They are all around an inch or two above the
surface of the soil. I'm just hoping there aren't any really hard
frosts.

Show off ))))