Old 03-04-2009, 08:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ophelia[_4_] Ophelia[_4_] is offline

Default chitting potatoes

Derek Turner wrote:
On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 17:00:23 +0100, Ophelia wrote:

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Ophelia" wrote
Just to be sure I know what this means.. does it mean waiting til
the spuds have wee shoots growing from them?

Yes, well actually, getting them to start to sprout.

Ah! I supposed that one put them in the light and waited. Is there a
technique?

I mentioned that when at Harlow Carr recently, I bought some bags,
compost and some seed potatoes. I have them in the light awaiting
sprouts. I have no sprouts. Must I wait till the sprouts grow
before I can plant them, please?
No, if they haven't started to sprout and are otherwise OK then
just go ahead and plant.

Just one more question if you please. Do I bury the potatoes
completely or leave some of the bumpy bits poking out?

The former. I use a bulb-planter. One advatage of chitting is thast
you can see which end has the most sprouts: put that end facing up!
Otherwise look for the 'eyes' the bits you gouge out when peeling
spuds) and put the end with most of them pointing up.

Thank you That'll be the lumpy bits then?