Old 04-04-2009, 12:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Herbs and Roses

On Fri, 3 Apr 2009 13:20:08 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Is there any reason not to plant herbs between roses? It would be
convenient, since the Rose path is right outside the kitchen door.

I have checked several "complementary" sites and none of them seem to
object,
but wanted to get this NGs reaction.

Herbs a Sage, Basil, Parsley, Oregano.

Note that an old Rosemary bush has been in the Rose path for years w/o
any
perceptible problems.

(I do hope the new "from" address will placate my critics.)

Persephone

I can see a problem planting herbs near roses. I dump a lot of cow
manure, compost, rotted leaves, fish emulsion around the roses. The
soil is very rich in organic matter, but many herbs do better in poor
soil. I have garlic growing as a companion plant to the rose, and
garlic likes the same kind of soil. Parsley likes rich soil. Rosemay
and sage grow well together.