Old 03-04-2009, 11:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default chitting potatoes

On Apr 3, 10:15*pm, Martin wrote:
On Fri, 3 Apr 2009 13:58:16 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On Apr 3, 5:00*pm, "Ophelia" wrote:
Bob Hobden wrote:
"Ophelia" *wrote
Just to be sure I know what this means.. does it mean waiting til the
spuds have wee shoots growing from them?

Yes, well actually, getting them to start to sprout.

Ah! *I supposed that one put them in the light and waited. Is there a
technique?

I mentioned that when at Harlow Carr recently, I bought some bags,
compost and some seed potatoes. *I have them in the light awaiting
sprouts. * I have no sprouts. *Must I wait till the sprouts grow
before I can plant them, please?
No, if they haven't started to sprout and are otherwise OK then just
go ahead and plant.

Just one more question if you please. *Do I bury the potatoes completely or
leave some of the bumpy bits poking out?

Thank you Bob

ps Not just a question to you Bob, but are my questions terribly asinine?
Would it be preferable to the group for me to go away and do some research
first?

I did say I was a beginner, but perhaps I didn't make it clear just how much
of one

Hey you, don't be daft, I am the Queen of asinine questions and in
over 12 plus years nobody has told me to do research first. *I think
those of us, you, me and some others make the group more interesting
in that we benefit from their advice and they, as good teachers, enjoy
teaching us.

Nobody told Ophelia to do research first.
The RHS explanation is better than I can write myself and it did answer the
question.
--

Martin

I know sweetie, can you advise me on .... I forgot you already did, a
week ago and it is coming on well. :-)

Judith