Old 13-04-2003, 08:32 AM
David Hare-Scott

Default Shell Ginger

"SUNSHINE" wrote in message
I have just purchased a ginger bulb and would like some advice on how

grow it, I get some bad frosts at times but can put it under trees,

does it
like shade and should I wait till winter is past before planting it

out,
some advice as to the size it will grow and it's requirements will be
appreciated..
Sunshine.

I don't know about "shell ginger" but if you are talking about ginger
root used in asian cooking (zingiber officinale) then it is a tropical
or nearly tropical plant whcih occurs naturally in rainforests but is
grow in similar regions around the world. It requires hot conditions
and high humidity especially in summer. Definitely not frost hardy. If
you get heavy frost I think you will need a heated glasshouse.

Here is some further information
http://www.buderimginger.com/consume...inger/the_crop
..asp

David