Old 04-04-2009, 07:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Lilah Morgan[_2_] Lilah Morgan[_2_] is offline

Default Seed collections

Yeah most of the hybrids were from a nursery's booth last year at farmer's
market...they had a couple big baskets of free seed packets and since it was
free I grabbed what I could...I don't really trust hybrids cause I wonder if
they're hybrids as in cross-bred or hybrids as in GMO type stuff. I've
looked through the Seed Savers catalog so many times, I can recognize the
same varieties in the seed aisles at stores here and grab 'em...the Zebrina
flowers I got today were one of them. Oh and I forgot to mention I have way
too many german chamomile seeds as well. They have naturalized on our
property and become just about a weed basically, and I got alot of seed from
them last year to give away as a free gift for buying from our farmer's
market booth this year...if anyone has any amish pie pumpkin or jelly melon
cucumber/kiwano horned melon, whatever you want to call it seeds I'd be
happy to trade some german chamomile seeds or parris island lettuce seeds, I
have plenty of them.

Charlie wrote in message
On Wed, 1 Apr 2009 13:40:35 -0800, "Lilah Morgan"
wrote:

Just wondering if I'm the only who has a nice hefty seed collection. This

is
I think everything I have...I think it is. Oh wait, I don't think I put

the
tomato seeds I saved from last year, but I didn't know what their name

was,
I just labelled them by color(red/green 'striped', gold, purple, etc)

Looks like a nice assortment of seeds you mention, and I notice you
mention saving seeds...yet you include hybrids in your list. Saved
seeds from hybrids will not produce what their parents produced.

I have over five hundred open-pollinated, heirloom,
whatever-ever-you-wanna-call-em varieties in subzero storage and add
more each year.

Hybrids are great to pick up at year-end clearance and throw into cold
storage just for the production benefits. Last winter I bought 750
(all the store had) packets of assorted veg seeds for.....ta-da.....a
penny/packet. They went straight to silca gel then to the freezer.
Rainy day emergencys and all that.

Suzanne Ashworth - "Seed to Seed"

http://www.seedsavers.org/Details.aspx?itemNo=B579

I highly recommend this book for your seed saving activities.

Charlie

"Bad seed is a robbery of the worst kind: for your pocket-book not
only suffers by it, but your preparations are lost and a season passes
away unimproved." -- George Washington