Old 04-04-2009, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gordon H[_3_] Gordon H[_3_] is offline

Default Gardeners' World

In message , Martin
writes
On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 22:29:48 +0100, Pam Moore
wrote:

Two things came up on tonight's GW programme which have been discussed
here recently.
One was how to plant begonia tubers; they said leave top uncovered but
cover later when stems have formed to encourage each to root.
The other was Joe's digging hoe. Is that what someone here
recommended? I don't think it would be easy to plant with it, which
was one use they mentioned.

It's called a mattock. It's a digging implement as well as a hoe.

One of the tools used when we work in the Country park is a mattock.
I wielded it for a short time, preparing ground for planting a hedge.
It looked (and felt!) a lot heavier than the 90° hoe which Carol was
leaning on in GW...
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply