Old 04-04-2009, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gopher Gopher is offline

Default Gardeners' World

In message , Gordon H
writes
In message , Martin
writes
On Fri, 03 Apr 2009 22:29:48 +0100, Pam Moore
wrote:

Two things came up on tonight's GW programme which have been discussed
here recently.
One was how to plant begonia tubers; they said leave top uncovered but
cover later when stems have formed to encourage each to root.
The other was Joe's digging hoe. Is that what someone here
recommended? I don't think it would be easy to plant with it, which
was one use they mentioned.

It's called a mattock. It's a digging implement as well as a hoe.

One of the tools used when we work in the Country park is a mattock.
I wielded it for a short time, preparing ground for planting a hedge.
It looked (and felt!) a lot heavier than the 90° hoe which Carol was
leaning on in GW...

A group of us do volunteer work with Dorset Wildlife Trust and Dorset CC
Ranger Service. Mattocks are much in evidence when replacing revetments
for paths, ditching etc. It's an extremely useful tool for all sorts of
things.
--
Gopher .... I know my place!