Old 04-04-2009, 03:52 PM posted to rec.gardens
gardengal gardengal is offline

Default Herbs and Roses

On Apr 3, 1:20*pm, wrote:
Is there any reason not to plant herbs between roses? *It would be
convenient, since the Rose path is right outside the kitchen door.

I have checked several "complementary" sites and none of them seem to
object,
but wanted to get this NGs reaction.

Herbs a *Sage, Basil, Parsley, Oregano.

Note that an old Rosemary bush has been in the Rose path for years w/o
any
perceptible problems.

(I do hope the new *"from" address will placate my critics.)

Persephone

Unless they are annual herbs, I don't recommend them for planting with
roses. Most perennial herbs are Mediterranean in origin and prefer
lean soil and dry conditions. This is pretty much the opposite of what
roses would like (rich, fertile soil, regular watering, frequent
fertilization) and keeping one happy is going to provoke the other. If
the planting area is large enough, you might be able to get by with
them as a border or edging situation, but as David indicates, several
spread rather aggressively.

Basil and parsley would work fine - they are quite happy in conditions
roses prefer.