Old 04-04-2009, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pete C[_2_] Pete C[_2_] is offline

Default Gardeners' World

Jiri Borsky - www.borsky.com wrote:
On Sat, 04 Apr 2009 11:53:03 +0100, Pam Moore
wrote:

On Sat, 04 Apr 2009 00:43:04 +0200, Martin
wrote:

I knew what a mattock was long before the spaghetti episode in
Panorama. I heard Azada used for the first time this week. )
--

Ditto. Is there a difference or are they the same thing? The word
mattock has been around a long time certainly.

Mattock is from Old E "mattuc", of unknown origin. I only looked it up
as the Czech word for the said implement "motyka" sounds rather
similar.

Jiri Borsky
gardening in N Staffs

'Azada' is Spanish for hoe I beleive. The implements with that name are
generally imported from Spain.
--
Pete C
London UK