Old 04-04-2009, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default What not to plant

echinosum writes

But my predecessor in this house planted some bloody awful
stoloniferous Spiraea which grows like raspberries, spreads, and is
ineradicable.

I think I've go the same thing! Been trying to 'control' it for years,
and have decided total elimination is the only sensible possibility. And
now you tell me it's impossible :-(

And likewise a creeping Hypericum.

Not the big flowered Rose of Sharon? Been trying to remove that from a
japanese quince with no success.

Some giant cotoneaster thing which has had its
seeds spread everywhere by the birds and comes up as a weed all over
the place.

What about the small horizontal cotoneaster? Now covering a 30ft of
wall, all from one tiny plant, and a constant battle to keep it on the
wall and not have it ramping across the rest of the garden.

Of things I've planted myself, no mistakes quite that bad I think.

A creeping Euphorbia, spreads, but not too far.

cyparissifolia (or somesuch)? - really pretty, fine leaves, 6inch stems,
yellow 'flowers', but creeps underground and comes up everywhere? Or
robbiae which does the same, but in magnification?

--
Kay