Old 13-04-2003, 09:20 AM
Peter James

Default Hostas in pots

There have been some postings recently on Hostas. I thought I would
pass on a tip a friend gave me.
To control the slugs and snails that are attracted to hostas from all
over the garden, firstly cover the soil surface within the pot with
very sharp grit. The molluscides hate crawling around on this. Then
smear vaseline around the rim of the pot in a band of about 2" wide.
This really does control the snail and slug population in my garden so
that my hostas hardly ever suffer from snail and slug depredation.
The other thing is to make sure the leaves of neighbouring hostas
don't touch each other. In that way if one plant does become
infested, the snails can't migrate to the other plants.
-
Peter James
Change AT to @ to reply