Old 04-04-2009, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Minchin Bob Minchin is offline

Default Composting Question

Derek Turner wrote:
On Sat, 04 Apr 2009 10:00:43 +0100, Bob Minchin wrote:

My current heap is not rotting down at all well and is predominantly
autumn leaves

For future reference, do NOT put autumn leaves in the compost heap/bin.
Composting is a bacterial process, autumn leaves need to be broken down
by fungi, which is a much slower process. Gather them up into plastic bin-
liners, seal the tops with tape, stab each bag with a garden fork a few
times and forget about them until the spring/summer after next. Trees are
not stupid: they take all the goodness out of leaves before dropping
them, all that is left is organic matter that will become leaf-mold then
humus in the soil. Add to improve the soil condition but /not/ to add
fertility. Compost is compost, leaf-mold is leaf-mold - is different (to
paraphrase Tom Conti)

Thanks Derek.
Very helpful. I'll know what to do next time.

Bob