Old 04-04-2009, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
alan.holmes alan.holmes is offline

Default Composting Question

"Rusty_Hinge" wrote in message
. uk...
The message
from Bob Minchin contains these words:

In the FAQ, use of a general purpose fertiliser as an accelerator is
mentioned.
Is something like growmore appropriate which is largely insoluble in
water due to its slow release characteristics or should I look for
ammonium nitrate in its soluble form?
I know I could pee on it but I do have to respect the neighbours lol

My current heap is not rotting down at all well and is predominantly
autumn leaves and I'm starting to add grass cuttings which I read can be
a problem. I'm planning to water it and hence the thought of adding
soluble nitrogen.

The very best accelerator is -

Hide in the shrubbery and pee into a bottle/jar/w.h.y?

Add to compost.

If the heap is in a suitably secluded spot, the bottle/jar/w.h.y? may be
discarded.

I keep a bucket by the bed and use that through the night, as I frequently
need to relieve myself during the night!(:-(