Old 05-04-2009, 01:41 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default There goes the neighborhood

Dioclese wrote:
My rural neighborhood is more or less city-fied. They all got
pasture type fencing including the street-facing side. All is well
manicured native grasses as viewed from the street on these 5/10/20
acre plats. No native spring flowers, they're all mowed down. No,
these native flowers and their originating plants are not in
competition with native grasses. I delight when I arrive at home to
see spring alive, these white and ultra-yellow flowers will wilt soon
enough. Soon to see summer, and most, if not all of it, will wilt
and dry again in the Texas sun. I kept my fenceline around my house,
not my property line. I don't understand my neighbors, help me out.

Tell the smart ones:
Too frequent cutting favours some species over others and leads towards loss
of diversity. They may need all of those species at some time under
different conditions.

Tell the rest:
It's not 'authentic' to have it so neat, back in the olden days there was no
neat. They came to escape the new and embrace the old so leave it grow
sometimes. Also riding a mower/tractor for hours gives you a tan which is
uncool and leads to skin cancer. They should stay indoors in the aircon and
admire the wonders of nature from there and preserve their complexion so
they can properly show off their new clothes from the spring collection.

David