Old 05-04-2009, 07:10 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_7_] Billy[_7_] is offline

Default Horrilble weed problem for a newbie

In article ,
keelematt wrote:

Billy, do you live your entire life being a total prick or are you just
a part time keyboard hero? I moderated a number of forums for many
years and I must admit that it's rare to come across anybody as
obnoxious or eager for a flame war as you! It's usually immature
teenagers that are trying to wind people up at the drop of a hat. What
was it you called me? Dumber than dirt wasn't it, you really have no
idea how far off the truth you are, jackass.

You mentioned in your first post that I was here looking for a poison
solution - you're absolutely full of crud, I asked for suggested
methods of killing the Docks not poisoning them, I had been considering
using a paraffin burner or coving them rather than using chemicals and
wondered if it might have been suggested here, it seems like you're
just to eager waiting to start jumping up and down on your soap box
before looking any further than your blurred, narrow minded outlook on
the human race.

Well Mr Smartarse, answer me this - What the hell is so vain and stupid
about a lawn?
My children would be lost without the lawn to play on. We do have
woods as well as more wild areas on our ground for them to explore but
they still love to kick a ball about the place and ride their toy
tractors around. You really are a complete tosser. Would you rather I
concreted the lot and saved myself a life times worth of work? Are we
not being encouraged to keep lawned areas by your fellow eco warriors?

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links on here but on the off chance
'here's' (http://tinyurl.com/yjm842) one for you ;-)

I'll take another look at the help comments tomorrow and see if we can
figure out a solution. Shame I've lowered my self to Billy's level and
wasted 20 minutes of my life writing this post!

You are quit right, I will apologize to the dirt in the morning. I'm
sorry to be the first one in line to get in your face about your
proposed project, but I certainly won't be the last, if you continue to
follow this ill fated trajectory.

Stupidity starts with chemical solutions (figuratively and literally).
You obviously haven't the faintest idea about the world's crisis of
diminishing biodiversity and the destruction of the top soil that
humanity counts on for survival.

Since lawns and chemicals seem to go together like cheese and pickles
for you, the herbicides will undoubtedly soon be joined by the other
evil doers. No, not George Bush and Dick Cheney, but pesticides and
chemical fertilizers. As I understand it, once you have this trio
of biocides perfectly confected, you plan to loose small children on it
to play. My god, it's brilliant, if you want to play chemical Russian
roulette with the neighborhood children (who are the most vulnerable to
these poisons) and who ever is down stream from egomaniacal effluent.
You know that children playing on your expensive, high maintenance,
green trophy are just going to tear it up. Then you'll be yelling at the
kids to stay off your beautiful lawn, as you try to keep up appearances
for the Lord Love-a-Ducks who live up the lane from you.

A number of posters have already told you what organic options you have.
What? Don't believe in that organic gardening rubbish? We could have
used you 90 years ago, when the U.K. stopped accepting our apples just
because of a little lead arsenate on them. Well, OK, it was a lot of
lead arsenate, but still, underneath the poison, they were beautiful
apples.

I'm not going to hold your hand and go through the different methods
that were presented to you in good faith, mine included. Suffice it to
say, if it doesn't entail using some witches brew, it's probably worth a
go.

You mentioned in your first post that "last summer I got my hands on some
weedkiller and sprayed the lot, within a week they all seemed dead but
a few weeks later they were back with a vengeance so I sprayed them
again, and the same happened". Reading through the balance of your post,
you neglect to mention that you experienced an epiphany in regards to
biocides.

Oh, what is a "Good Samaritan" to do, when you hold back important
insights? So, don't give me a lot of crud for thinking you were in a
similar state of mind. "Third time proves it all", is the way it goes,
eh?

It's a bit depressing to think that you are so devoid of wit that the
only options you see are a work intensive, poisonous sump of a lawn or
concrete slab. With any effort, you should be able to find a nursery
nearby, who will give you good organic advice on ground covers, or
flower gardens with mulched paths where your children can play. I doubt,
however, that you'll get better advice, than what you have been so
charitably offered here.
--

- Billy