Old 05-04-2009, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default chitting potatoes

On 5/4/09 08:45, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On 4 Apr 2009 21:35:46 GMT, Derek Turner wrote:

On Sat, 04 Apr 2009 22:03:25 +0100, Sacha wrote:

On 4/4/09 19:02, in article
, "Derek
Turner" wrote:
snip
It is said that the taste of 'real' Jersey Royals was largely down to
the salt and iodine in the vraic. snip

I hope President Obama appreciated them. ;-) Certainly those grown
with vraic taste infinitely better than any others.

Any idea why we IMPORT rather than EXPORT asparagus Sacha? ISTM that we
have absolutely ideal conditions for growing it! Disease? takes too long?
can't be arsed?

I guess the same reason UK imports flower bulbs and so many things that can be
produced in UK rather than exports them. Judging by the ever shrinking areas
of
Dutch bulb fields there must be a bigger area in UK, or have English bulb
fields
been turned into housing estates too.

A lot of daff bulbs are grown in Cornwall for the trade. We know of one
Jerseyman who owns land near Hayle and has been growing there for years. I
think he's just got out of it now but AFAIK, it was quite a big enterprise,
though probably not anything like as large as the Dutch growers. However,
his business partner was the son of a Dutch family that came to Jersey
several generations ago!

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com