Old 05-04-2009, 02:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Composition soil testing

Is there a test to get a percentage of organic matter in a soil
sample? Anyone know how is this typically done in a lab? I was
wondering if the sample is weighed, burned off, and re-weighed to
calculate a percentage? I guess compost made from leaves, twigs, peat
moss, grass would be close to 100% "organic matter." Sand, stones,
clay, perlite, vermiculite, water, nitrogen salts would be "inorganic
matter?" What I am hearing is that good soil must have greater than
5% organic matter.