Old 05-04-2009, 03:14 PM posted to rec.gardens
[email protected] bungadora@aol.com is offline

Default Tomato seeds

On Apr 5, 6:51*am, Jangchub wrote:
On Sat, 4 Apr 2009 19:46:12 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
I'm interested to hear Brandywine will not cross pollinate. *Is there
a reason?
Dora

Yes, it is an heirloom because it was never purposely hybridized and
has been a stable replica of itself form a very long time. *It's also
a potato leaf tomato, so still in the solancea family, with same
flower parts as other tomatoes, but the foliage is somewhat different.

I have had the hardest time growing them here in Texas. *Our nights
are just not cool enough. *By the time the plants set flowers, the
night temps stay over 80 and it is difficult to set up.

Enjoy them, they are magnificent!

Whereas for me the nights are too cool for tomatoes to do well unless
they are in a warm spot! However I have been told the night time
coolness helps the sugars to develop.
Dora