Old 05-04-2009, 10:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_3_] Sacha[_3_] is offline

Default chitting potatoes

On 5/4/09 09:15, in article ,
"Martin" wrote:

On Sun, 05 Apr 2009 09:03:23 +0100, Sacha wrote:

snip

A lot of daff bulbs are grown in Cornwall for the trade. We know of one
Jerseyman who owns land near Hayle and has been growing there for years.

and people have grown Scilly White's in the Scilly Isles for generations too.

For some reason, my wife was surprised that Walkers actually grew bulbs.

think he's just got out of it now but AFAIK, it was quite a big enterprise,
though probably not anything like as large as the Dutch growers. However,
his business partner was the son of a Dutch family that came to Jersey
several generations ago!

Those pesky Dutch are everywhere

Same with Jersey people - we get around us seafarers. ;-)

--
Sacha
http://www.hillhousenursery.com