Old 05-04-2009, 06:12 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill[_13_] Bill[_13_] is offline

Default Tomato seeds

In article
,
wrote:

On Apr 5, 8:30*am, Bill R wrote:
wrote:
On Apr 5, 6:51 am, Jangchub wrote:

I have had the hardest time growing them here in Texas. *Our nights
are just not cool enough. *By the time the plants set flowers, the
night temps stay over 80 and it is difficult to set up.

Enjoy them, they are magnificent!

Whereas for me the nights are too cool for tomatoes to do well unless
they are in a warm spot! *However I have been told the night time
coolness helps the sugars to develop.
Dora

The "trick" to growing tomatoes in "hostile" conditions (too hot or too
cool) is to pick the right varieties for *your* area. *Contact your
counties' extension agent (or whatever the position is called in your
area) and ask what grows well in your area. *You may not be able to grow
exactly what you want but there are so many varieties of tomatoes that
you will likely find many that you will enjoy.
--

Yes. I gave up trying to grow Black Cherokee. Most of the heirlooms
I grow are from Siberia, and I have one I think is a hybrid called Sub

Johnny's selected seeds is located in Maine USA.

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Not all who wander are lost.