Old 05-04-2009, 04:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Copper Sulphate

On Apr 5, 2:05*pm, Judith in France
wrote:
On Apr 5, 1:25*pm, Dave Hill wrote:

Has anyone used Copper sulphate for anything in and around the garden?
David Hill

My husband does in the veggie garden, when he comes in, I will ask him
what for exactly.

Judith

My husband says that in the 19th Century in the UK, it was used for
anti potato blight It was first noticed in Wales; that below a copper
producing factory, none of the potatoes were diseased. Later on it
was exported to Ireland where the Irish thought the British were
trying to poison them! In fact copper salts are extremely effective
in very low concentrations against mildews. It was used extensive in
France even before that to prevent mildew on vines.

We use it as an anti fungal on tomatoes and potatoes.

Judith