Old 06-04-2009, 12:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Orthenex

Chris,

FWIW, I used to use Orthenex. It worked, but not nearly as well as Orthene.
With the former, I'd find that the time of control before return of critters
was a couple of months. So I was treating fairly often. With Orthene I spray
probably twice a year (a double spray each time) and all is well. For
isolated stuff I can always use a canned spray or alcohol. You might need to
order the Orthene if you don't have a supply vendor nearby, but IMO it's
worth it.

Now, if someone could tell me what to do about my gardenias, which are thrip
magnets, then I'd be home free altogether. I've used the same treatments on
them and have also tried the Bayer product. The bugs just keep coming. If it
weren't for a sentimental attachment they'd be ripped out by now. And they
may yet get trashed.

Diana

"K Barrett" wrote in message
On Apr 5, 12:55 pm, (Chris Savas) wrote:
Hi, all,

I have been using Orthenex in my general insect controll spraying. I have
been buying and using the 16 Fl oz size, but have run out. I have looked
in
five different stores and can't find it.

So, what should I look for to use on my orchids (just over 100 plants)? I
have
spotted a couple of plants that have some cottony scale. I have used it
because it is systemic.

Thanks.
Chris in Central Florida
(Remove not from the address to respond directly.)

.

There is a Bayer product with imiploprid as well as a systemic

K Barrett