Old 06-04-2009, 12:23 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dioclese Dioclese is offline

Default There goes the neighborhood

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Sat, 4 Apr 2009 18:46:01 -0500, "Dioclese" NONE wrote:

My rural neighborhood is more or less city-fied. They all got pasture
type
fencing including the street-facing side. All is well manicured native
grasses as viewed from the street on these 5/10/20 acre plats. No native
spring flowers, they're all mowed down. No, these native flowers and
their
originating plants are not in competition with native grasses. I delight
when I arrive at home to see spring alive, these white and ultra-yellow
flowers will wilt soon enough. Soon to see summer, and most, if not all
of
it, will wilt and dry again in the Texas sun. I kept my fenceline around
my
house, not my property line. I don't understand my neighbors, help me
out.

Most neighbor's hire lawn care service and I may see these neighbors
in their yard once a year. I think I am the only one who does not
have a riding mower. What they call "yard work," I call gardening. My
sister and her husband have 8 acres and both hate any kind of
gardening--makes me wonder why she bought so much unused land, but
that's her business.

I use strictly a push mower inside the 450+ foot fence perimeter around the
house. Outside, I use a riding mower for mowing the above ground leech
field, around the detached garage and driveway, and the fire barrier around
the outside of fenceline. I also keep a path mowed to a set of good sized
live oaks with a big canopy towards the back of my property. Its total a
bit more than one acre for mowing.

Native trees and accompanying native grasses/brambles/brush border the
street shoulder. Garage is viewable from driveway street entrance, view of
house at severe angle from driveway entrance at best. Another street view
of the house is from the rural mailbox and adjacent path made by
construction workers when my house was built. Front yard has best privacy
as the house does not face the street. No rear door entry either.

Unless a person farms, raises some form of livestock, or needs a heck of a
lot of business space, most homeowners can't fully use 5/10/20 acres. That
seems to be a mindset (total use) that I don't understand. Can you
enlighten me?

One asset, that guys don't talk about, but like about a big spread with lots
of trees is relieving oneself. You don't have to walk all the way back to
the house. A Golden asset.
--
Dave
If you don't like the weather in Central Texas, just give it a minute...