Old 06-04-2009, 11:10 AM posted to aus.gardens
John Savage John Savage is offline

Default Defeat for the bats, birds and possums.

"0tterbot" writes:
"John Savage" wrote in message
m...
The Yanks often talk of "tanglefoot" traps for rats. Is that stuff
available here? It's a sticky pad critters get their feet stuck to,
something like industrial-strength fly-paper. (Stepping on it would
probably give the neighbour's cat a few anxious moments, too.)

finding a bunch of live rats stuck onto paper would also give any decent
human a few anxious moments as well. the yanks don't exactly have a
reputation for civilised behaviour toward living creatures and this would be
one example.

if you want to kill vermin, i'd suggest just killing them, rather than
leaving them to die of thirst stuck onto sticky paper.

Your strawman has not a leg to stand on, but nice try.

I don't believe instructions accompanying the use of tanglefoot would
say to leave any trapped animal to die of thirst; and I don't believe
any user would -- no more than they would with other live-capture traps.
I'd expect users would check the trap daily and dispatch any captured
pests quickly and humanely.

Draw a comparison of this with a death drawn out over 2 to 4 days by
internal bleeding that the anti-coagulant type bait brings on if you
wish to balance your view.

There is nothing to be boastful of in the baiting methods used for
controlling rats, rabbits, foxes, pigs or dingoes, other then their
demonstrated effectiveness.

Do people who set live-capture cage traps really leave the rats in
the cage until they die of thirst? I can't imagine it.