Old 13-04-2003, 11:44 AM
LeighMo

Default Update: New to Hobby in Northwest Florida

Well, it seems the question is moot - I may get to restart this tank soon
after all. It looks like ich or columnaris has settled in.

It's probably because your tank is cycling. Cycling a tank is extremely
stressful for fish, and you chose some fish that are rather delicate, and not
suited for cycling a tank at all.

Next time, please consider a "fishless cycle." Much easier on the fish.

I just
added some fungicide and salt, and some 'aloe vera' fish coat (by Aquarium
Pharmaceuticals, from the dreaded Wal-Mart which was the only thing open).
I feel really bad, I've never had a mass-death before.

Fungicide won't help. Columnaris is not a fungus, though it looks like one.
It's a bacterical infection, which is generally only a problem if tank
conditions are very poor. Ich is a parasite; if that's your problem, you need
something like Rid-Ich or Quick-Cure.

If you don't understand what I mean by "cycling," read this article:

http://faq.thekrib.com/begin-cycling.html

Leigh