Old 06-04-2009, 10:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Derek Turner Derek Turner is offline

Default cutting overgrown roses

On Sun, 05 Apr 2009 17:57:19 -0700, Jim wrote:

I'd like to cut the plant down to a lower height, since now I've cleared
the flower bed, I don't want my roses to be significantly higher than
anything else..

However, I'd also like to try to cause the rose plant to create new
flowers.

oes anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Just go ahead and cut them down! There is much printers' ink expended on
how and when to prune roses but experimental evidence shows that it
doesn't matter how and when you prune them, or with what: electric hedge-
clippers proved best in the trials. Sorry, I don't have a reference for
this, I heard it on GQT.

You may well find that some of the growth is from the rootstock (i.e.
below the graft) Remove all that completely. It may take a year or two
but they will recover from your 'brutality'!