Old 06-04-2009, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default HELP PLEASE - What Grape Vine For New Greenhouse

On Apr 6, 10:54*am, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 6 Apr 2009 02:38:06 -0700 (PDT), Jon wrote:
Hi,

Had some much appreciated advice from this Group in the past, wonder
if anyone can offer some on what grape vine to buy.

Story is, I am about to purchase a 8'x6' greenhouse (all my plants and
propagating have been banned from the conservatory !)

The only place I can position the greenhouse is backing on to a North
facing fence, the garden (NW of UK) gets intense direct sun on the
other side of the fence from 10am to 2pm (mid Summer) and 50% at other
times of the day due to 40 ft Silver Birch trees left and right, (some
shade may prove useful?)

So, can anyone suggest :-

A) * A nice sweet, thin skinned, desert grape please.

B) *Do I plant it inside or outside the greenhouse (if it were to go
outside it would be in a 2' gap between the fence and the back of the
greenhouse, quite shady.

All the vines I have seen in growing in greenhouses have had the vine's roots
outside the green house and the rest of the stem inside the greenhouse.
--

Martin

I echo that, I had a vine in England and the root was outside. I
can't remember the grape name I'm afraid.

Judith